General Information about Hypnotherapy and Hypnosis
– it’s not what you think!
Unlike Stage Hypnosis, which is for entertainment purposes, Hypnotherapy with me is entirely therapeutic. The aim is to help clients achieve their goals and to make their life more enjoyable.
Contrary to popular belief, a Hypnotherapist cannot control you or make you do things against your will – neither would we want to! In Hypnotherapy you remain awake, aware and in control. You are fully able to see, hear, talk and remember. In order to benefit from hypnotherapy, you need to be in a natural state of mind, which utilises the power of your focussed attention and imagination to help provide beneficial change.
Hypnosis goes deep, to the inner store-house of our beliefs and learned responses, which is why it has found wide acceptance in treating disorders such as over-eating and smoking. By getting where the addiction lies hypnosis can suppress the addiction and replace it with positive behaviour
Hypnotherapy can help you to get rid of unwanted habits, fears and phobias; help you to control weight; handle stress; boost self-esteem; overcome depression and many other problems that are of an emotional or psychological nature. It is a completely safe, relaxing and nurturing technique.
During this relaxed state, called ‘trance’, there is a heightened susceptibility to beneficial suggestion and a much improved memory with access to ‘forgotten’ or repressed memories stored in the unconscious of the mind. It is these qualities of the hypnotic state that can be readily used for therapeutic purposes. In itself the hypnotic state is very pleasant and my clients often liken it to feeling as if they have had an all over massage from the inside out!
What will your Hypnotherapist do?
While in a comfortable chair your hypnotherapist will help you to feel comfortable, and use an induction method to get your subconscious mind working optimally. This may be using relaxation, visualisation, or possibly a fast induction method.
If you are wondering how deep your trance state will be, it is useful to remember that very few people are able to go into a somnambulistic (very deep) state of hypnosis, and it is not required for most normal therapy. Trance depths vary, but usually only a light trance is enough for most healing work to be done.
Some people believe that only weak-minded or gullible people can be hypnotised. Nothing is further from the truth! In fact, the reverse is true. The more intelligent and strong-willed individuals are generally more likely to benefit from hypnotherapy. Success with hypnosis has to do with your ability to listen, focus, and fully participate in the process.
What sort of things does Hypnotherapy help with?
There are so many things that Hypnotherapy can help with, that the list would simply be too long to put here. Perhaps the most common reason people choose hypnotherapy is to stop smoking, but there is so much more to it. Hypnotherapy can certainly can help you to tame the mind and create better habits for yourself.
Your hypnotherapist can help you to:
- Be confident and feel good about yourself. Particularly where you suffer from social anxiety, fear of public speaking or general lack of self-esteem.
- Say goodbye to phobias or fears e.g. fear of flying, fear of public speaking, fear of death etc.
- Helps with panic attacks and anxiety.
- Helps prevent Nightmares, nail-biting, exam nerves, jealousy, procrastination, insomnia.
- Improve your performance in sport, business or sex!
- De-stress and manage your daily anxiety and coping skills!
- Deal with eating disorders or shed excess weight – get to the root of the problem!
- Learn to meditate effectively … find your own inner ‘space’. Gain confidence in public speaking, stage performance or speaking to the opposite sex.
- Gain more ‘spiritual’ insight into yourself and your purpose. Control pain … including pain-free childbirth!
- Relax as you have never relaxed before! Pamper yourself – feel as if you have spent three weeks at a rejuvenating resort after just one hour! It’s rather like a wonderful mental and physical massage from within.
- BE the person you really want to be!
- and, of course …Stop Smoking – you will be amazed at the fantastic success rate, especially when combined with EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique).
The mind is a wonderful slave, but a terrible master! In order to be the master of our lives and destinies, we must first become master of our own minds!
Images courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net